Peggy Chen, Ang Mo Kio Primary School, 2nd Prize
winning entry in The Home Look Green Home Campaign - Blog Competition
Have you ever heard your parents quarrelling about how the water and electricity bills are always increasing and wondered how you could actually play a part in helping your family to conserve water and electricity? Look no further, in less than a thousand words you will be able to understand the need for conservation of water and electricity, the pros and cons of it and how to play a part in conserving water and electricity.
The Need For Water and Electricity Conservation:
Using too much energy as well as wasting energy actually harms the environment and it can also use up vital natural resources that are limited. By conserving water and electricity, we are saving energy and also helping the environment. The reason we conserve water is because water is actually in limited supply and the reserves are further declining due to wastage and pollution. 70% of the Earth's surface is covered with water but only about 3% of this water is fresh water. Without water, we will not be able to survive and without electricity, life will not be as convenient as it is now. So it just goes to show that we should cherish the things that we have now and not take things for granted!
The Pros And Cons Of Water And Electricity Conservation:
Conserving water and electricity does have its good and bad sides. We can't have our cake and eat it, can we? There are actually many good things about conserving water and electricity. By doing so, we can not only save money and energy, but also play a part in helping the environment. And now for the disadvantages- Cooperation is required, there are people who are very stubborn, with a capital S, and chances are, they won't change their lifestyle and help to conserve water and electricity, these stubborn people are quite a handful, aren't they? Being motivating alone isn't enough, it takes motivation, perseverance and perhaps some gentle persuasion to convince these people that conserving water and electricity does have many benefits.
Conserving Water And Electricity:
It is actually not very hard, it only takes some know-how and perseverance, sounds easy? Oh well, action speaks louder than words. Alright, now I will be telling you how to conserve water and electricity, let us start with the former.
Do not forget the three Rs-Reuse, Reduce and Recycle. You could collect rainwater and use it to water your plants. If you own a car, you might consider using a pail instead of the hose, it saves more water that way. Last but not least, you could try sanitizing grey water. It may be a little more complex, but for your information, grey water is basically something distinguished from black water as anything not flushed down the commode. Of course, there are more tips. I've put them in point form so that it would be easier to read.
- Cut back on shower time, showering uses about 2.5 gallons of water per minute.
- Turn off the faucet when you brush your teeth, you could save up to 300 gallons of water a year.
- Check for any leaks in pipes and taps, repair them immediately if any.
- Install water thimbles in faucets and shower hoses, it saves more water that way.
- Install water-saving bags in cisterns to reduce the amount of water used for flushing.
- Buy water-efficient taps and washing machines to save more water.
- Only wash clothes when there is a full load.
- Rinse dishes in a plugged sink rather than under running water
- Shower instead of bathing, it saves more water.
- Share water-saving tips with your family and friends, the more people in the know, the better!
Basically, practically everything in our life uses electricity, the computer I am currently using uses electricity, the lights that light up our rooms uses electricity, the hairdryer we use to dry our hair after showering also uses electricity. So, can you see the impact of electricity on our lives? Will life be as convenient as it is now? Nope, so conserving it is a big deal. So here are some tips that tell you how to conserve electricity...
- Switch off all the lights and electrical appliances when they are not in use.
- Use an electric fan instead of an air-conditioner, it uses much less electrical energy.
- Do not leave the computer or television on standby modes for too long.
- Buy electrical appliances which are energy efficient.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Do not leave electrical sockets unplugged.
- Keep doors and windows closed when heating or when air-conditioner is running.
- Make use of natural sunlight when possible and do not turn on lights and lamps.
- Cook several food dishes in the oven at the same time.
- Be a role model for energy conservation, share tips on how to conserve electricity with your family and friends.
The Family Then Lives Happily Ever After,